November 9, 2018
LDC's latest bi-annual report is out today and provides an update on the impact of market activity across the first six months of this year.True to our company mission at LDC, to 'share knowledge to create better places' we are providing this report free of charge, you can download your copy of the report here.
Three key takeaways:
- The number of occupied leisure units across GB decreased by -2.4% in H1 2018, equating to a net loss of 1,088.
- Overall retail and leisure openings decreased in H1 2018 by 2.1% when compared to H1 2017. The number of closures increased in H1 2018 by 16.9% compared to H1 2017. This resulted in a net loss of over 4,000 stores in the six month period.
- Growing retailers include barbers (+349), beauty salons (+160), shoe repair units (+122) vaping stores (+94), supermarkets (+70), independent coffee shops (+52), ice cream parlours (+51) and health clubs (+50).
This report also features
- Data on GB vacancy rates across high streets, retail parks and shopping centres, split by region.
- Analysis on structural changes to retail stock.
- Changes in LDC Health Index scores.
- Openings and closures data split by retail sectors.
- A review of brands who are acquiring space and a look at international brands to land on our shores.
- Coverage of the M&A and strategic partnership activity so far this year.
- Commentary and insights from some of the UK's leading brands such as Nisa, Matalan, Appear Here, Deltic, Calendar Club and Vaporised.