September 9, 2020
Installation of our next-generation footfall sensor is starting to gather pace and we are delighted with its performance so far. After a year and a half of research, testing and development by our incredible in-house technology team, we have developed a sensor which is incredibly accurate, captures ground-truth footfall data and has long-term stability, performing consistently well at all times of day and night, weather conditions and densities of people.
How it works
Our brand-new and proprietary technology uses a form of ultra-wide band radar - a similar technology to parking sensors in modern cars. The radar counts moving and stationary objects within a field of vision and sends data back to the base station to transmit to the Local Data Company server for processing.
A key feature of this technology is that it counts ground-truth numbers and does not rely on counting proxies for footfall (such as WiFi signals) or sampling to produce figures.
Why it is different to other technology
- Captures ground-truth numbers for passing footfall and does not rely on measuring proxies for footfall or samples.
- Very accurate and has consistently tested to perform within a +/-5% error margin.
- Not reliant on any other technology (WiFi, Bluetooth etc) so has long-term stability.
- Captures granular, hourly counts with consistently high accuracy.
- Can be used to set an exact field of vision so footfall counts are precise and relevant.
- Uses proprietary technology developed specifically for the retail market by the Local Data Company technology team.
- 100% GDPR compliant and maintains consumers’ privacy - no personal information is collected.
A Local Data Company footfall sensor installed in a store window.
USE CASES FOR OUR FOOTFALL DATA
- Monitor recovery and footfall trends during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Measure conversion rates for individual stores.
- Benchmark performance across an entire portfolio.
- Monitor the impact of marketing activities such as window displays and discount campaigns.
- Plan and measure the impact of localised marketing and media.
- Optimise operational models including opening hours, staffing and stock levels.
- Measure the impact of local events and holidays.
- Quantify and evidence how a space/locality is used.
- Analyse consumer habits throughout the pandemic and beyond.
ACCESS TO The data
Data from these devices is available in multiple formats; as a raw data file, via our online insight platform, LocalDataOnline, via API or through bespoke reports produced by our experienced insight team.